Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Winding Up for Some Coming Events



Okay, so the beginning of 2009 wasn't much more than a vacation for me. I figured I deserved at least a few months off after all. But, as they say, some things simply cannot wait.

First, I want to let everyone know about my friend Stephen Zimmer's upcoming booksigning in Bowling Green, KY. Here's the announcement in his own inimitable words:

"I'll be making an appearance on behalf of my debut modern fantasy novel The Exodus Gate at Waldenbooks in Bowling Green this Saturday from 12noon to 2pm (central standard time). Waldenbooks is located in Greenwood Mall, 2625 Scottsville Road, Bowling Green, KY. The phone number there is: (270) 843-6226.

"I'll be giving away alot of free items, regardless of whether or not someone buys the book, such as glossy art cards, bookmarks, and even 8X10's of the cover art to those that take the time to come and stop by. I will give away a special full color poster of the cover art and a full set of the art cards to those that do decide to get the book. I want to encourage fantasy fans to come out and say hi!

"If people want to get more information on the book in advance, and perhaps read a sample section in PDF format (and see some of the illustrations included in the book), they can always visit www.seventhstarpress.com They can also email me with any questions that they might have at: stephen@stephenzimmer.com"

I urge anyone who can to attend and get to know Stephen in person. He is a fascinating individual and a talented writer and independent filmmaker.

Speaking of Stephen, I might as well mention that there is another fellow having a booksigning this year. Yes, yours truly will be joining several other local authors in August for an event at the Davis-Kidd Booksellers in Memphis, Tennessee. I will post further details later. This is just the first of what we hope will be a triumphant tour of the MidSouth featuring local authors from the Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas areas. Slated to last through the new year, the events should appear in Memphis, Nashville, Jackson (MS), Little Rock, Dyersburg, Oxford (MS), and possibly Jacksonville (AR), Corinth (MS), Millington (TN), and/or Bowling Green, possibly Lexington/Elizabethton (KY).

July will be a month dedicated to my family, as I have two grandsons' birthdays that month and will probably be headed to the Atlanta area for a birthday get-together.

By the way, talking about Atlanta reminds me of another writer friend who is active in that area in several events. Jana G. Oliver, author of the Time Rover series of books (Sojourn, Virtual Evil, and Madman's Dance) was recently a guest at the TimeGate Doctor Who-themed convention and is to be the guest of honor at next year's JordanCon. Congratulations, Jana!

Finally, for this post anyway, I want to start mentioning some of the publications that have been kind enough to feature my work in the past. Early on, when I was first experimenting with publication on the internet, Dan Hollifield's Aphelion Webzine became a prime target for my growing interest in web publication. Dan was very receptive to my fiction and poetry (yes, Tyree, I do write poetry) and several of my stories appeared there including Up in the Air and Reparations. I believe he still has my name on his archive list. Thanks again to Dan, and his staff, for their faith in me and my work. Anybody interested in some good science fiction and fantasy should not pass up this great webzine.


Well, I guess that's enough for now. Til next time, keep your powder dry.