Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Really Should Be Writing

One of the worst things about writing is what to do with it when its done. If you want to share your work, you need to get it in front of people. If you want it to become widely known, then you need to get it in front of a lot of people. Now, I know there are companies that specialize in that kind of stuff, but, on a starving artists' kind of budget, who can afford them? Thousands of dollars out of my pocket for something I can do on my own with just a little bit of effort? No, thank you.

Internet advertising is almost free. Newspapers, radio, and television (except the national stuff -- they're nuts!) are very reasonable and friendly, but if you're like the thousands of other small press writers out there trying to make it on 5 cents a word, you better hope your day job is steady.

So, that's what Imagicopter is about. What with the bigger houses letting their midlist authors go, the market is suddenly a heck of a lot nastier than it used to be. Imagicopter gives us the "strength in numbers" we need to compete. And so far, it's met with passable success.

I was pleasantly surprised at how everyone we approach is ready to lend a helping hand. I like to think it's because people want to help, and those who have dedicated themselves to local fine arts councils, libraries, and bookstores, are ready to put some action behind their words. All they need is someone to organize things, bring writers and artists together, be ready to hawk the event to the public --- in other words, be the Face. Too bad I have such a mug. Now, if I looked like Matt Damon or a Baldwin or even George Clooney, I wouldn't need to work so hard. But there's no sense worrying about that. My vanity disappeared along with my hair years ago.

So, I'm left depending on sincerity and honest interest in what I do. Such a handicap...



In the "thanks for believing in my work" category, I would like to feature this time a beautiful webzine called The Harrow. Back before the turn of the century, The Harrow published a story of mine called Evidence for the Eternal. Although the publication is currently on a well-deserved hiatus after 11 1/2 years of non-stop top flight fiction, just perusing the archives can give you hours of great entertainment. I highly recommend you take a few minutes to scan the back issues. You might find some names there you recognize.

Anyway, I need to get back to the keyboard -- uh -- word processor. EMPEROR awaits.