Sunday, April 1, 2012

March Update

Yes, I know it's April. But I didn't miss March by much, so bear with me.

There was quite a bit of excitement this last month, not the least of which was the long-awaited launch of Clockwork Spells and Magical Bells. This project stretched from November 2010, when the initial call went out, to Midsouthcon 30, which saw the official release of the book. I am very pleased at how the publication came out and encourage everyone to pick up a copy at your earliest convenience. Clockwork Spells and Magical Bells is steampunk with a twist: machine vs. magic (an idea conceived by Phillip Barringer). Edited by Herika R. Raymer, it contains works by noted and award-winning writers and artists. Inside you will find:

The Ironwork Falcon by Jackie Gamber
Discombabulation by Robert Krog
Moved to Action by Angelia Sparrow
The Taste of Treasure by Kathryn Sullivan
Quest for the Dragon Scale by MR Williamson
Bit of a Bind by CRS Bailey
The Leprechaun's Story by JL Mulvihill
The Witch of Midnight Hollow by Alexander S. Brown
When the Heart Lies Open to Steam and Star by Anne Barringer
Wax Seal by Mandi Lynch
Survival by S. P. Dorning
The Black Dress by Nick Valentino

Poetry from Windsong Levitch, Michael Greenway, and Henry L. Sanders and artwork from Emily Mottesheard, Michael Bielaczyc, and Nigel Sade. Oh, let's not forget that cover art by Dan Gamber.

Needless to say, I attended Midsouthcon 30 and once again it was a great event. This convention is one of my favorites and I try to never miss it. I had a wonderful time, was able to reconnect with old friends and make some new ones. The panels were entertaining and the audiences engaged. Can't wait until the next one.

My novella High Kings received First Runner-Up for the 2012 Darrell Award for Best Novella. Many thanks to the jury and congratulations to A. Christopher Drown! His Path of an Arrow won the award.

My short story Evidence of the Eternal appeared in parABnormal Digest #3. This is a reprint of a story that appeared in 1999 at The Harrow, a UK based webzine. I was very excited about getting the story Voodoo Redgunk for that issue from Nebula Award recommended author William Eakin. His work has previously appeared in some of the most prestigious science fiction and fantasy magazines.

Still no word on when the Call of Lovecraft (Greg Norris, editor) anthology will appear from Evil Jester Press, although the rumor is it won't see light until September or later. It will contain my short story The Shed.

The next issue of The Martian Wave (Sam's Dot Publishing, J. Alan Erwine, editor) will contain my story Sparks, about the trials of a space station beleaguered by a mysterious and lethal virus. I understand that it will appear very soon.

Well, I believe that's it for now. Til next time, stay low and keep your powder dry!