Saturday, November 23, 2013

For November - Looking Back

As 2013 comes to a close, I have mixed feelings about the last several months.

Personally, the year has been an emotional roller coaster. For those closest to me, it has been much worse both emotionally and physically. I nearly lost my mother (she went on dialysis and then, wonderfully, was taken off) and did lose my grandmother (she was nearly 100 years old). My daughters have both had their own problems. My wife and I celebrated 40 years of marriage quietly, and my own 60th birthday slipped by with a whisper.

Writing-wise, the year has been fair to me. Besides the publication of my short stories in Southern Haunts, Dreams of Steam: Gadgets, The Big Bad: An Anthology of Evil, and Perfect Flaw, I have signed contracts for publication of short stories in the upcoming issue of The Fifth Di and NovoPulp: the Google+ Speculative Fiction Anthology. The last Angelkiller Triad volume, Doom Angel, is due for release in December. This means I reached exactly half of what I want to do each year. I will have to literally double my efforts for 2014.

Close friends had physical and emotional challenges, and many are still going through them. The wife and I do what we can to help, but that usually means little more than moral support. Although our personal problems are tiny in view of the larger ones facing the world at large, that is little comfort. So it is that finding things to be thankful for on the 28th is more difficult this year than ever before.

Not to be cynical, but Thanksgiving seems to be becoming more irrelevant as the years pass. Nevertheless, I will do my best to keep it going, if only for the sake of my grandchildren, who deserve to have at least that one day of the year to look back and take stock of all their own successes and to thank the one who makes them all possible.

Cause that's what grandpas do.

Til next time, stay low and keep your powder dry.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being my/our best friend. Always remember that your 'little more than moral support' is oft times much greater than the sum total of others. Never thirst, old friend and "Joys shared and sorrows diminished" for all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always be there for you and yours, no fear. Hope 2014 is a magical year for all.

      Delete