Saturday, March 1, 2014

Too much to do, not enough Month

February flashed by. Somewhere last night it slipped away unnoticed. Looking back at it, most of what I see is January. Who thought it a good idea to short a month 2 or 3 days, anyway?

Reviving Classic Pulp Fiction Today
I've sort of joined up with Pro Se Press as an editor. They asked and I've accepted. They have dozens of ambitious projects in queue and it looks like it would be exciting to be a part of that. Time will tell.

March means Midsouthcon in Memphis. I will be appearing there as a guest (schedule below) and my short story "Eclipse over Elmwood" that appeared in Southern Haunts (Seventh Star Press, Alexander S Brown and Jennifer Mulvihill, editors) is a finalist for the Darrell Award for Best Midsouth Short Story. This is the tenth time since 1998 I have been on the Darrell Award list and, although I won only once (2000), I am honored each time to think the jury considers my work of notice.

I have been assured that the third Angelkiller book, Doom Angel, will be available at Midsouthcon. The publisher, Seventh Star Press, has had so many projects ongoing that it slipped from its originally announced release in 2013. SSP has signed quite a few authors in the last year. It is fast growing from its micropress beginnings to something more than a small press. This month they are promoting in several major blogs as well as the print issues of Locus and Fangoria.

So, now I'll be working on stories for the upcoming Dreams of Steam V (Dark Oak Media) and rewrites on stories that have been rejected this year. Sometime this summer I hope to have another novel finished and at least three stories published. I'm also working on developing a series of episodic stories around two original characters. Wish me luck.

Here is the schedule for Midsouthcon as it stands right now. There may be some changes, so check your program when you get there.

 03/22/2014     9:00 AM     Elements to becoming a successful Author     Art and business of writing.  Panelists explain how to mix the business with the creative side of writing. There's more to being an author than just writing

03/22/2014     11:00 AM     Self Publishing Promotion     Debunking the mythos, and the importance of social networking. The importance of social media to an author. How do self published authors promote themselves

03/22/2014     3:00 PM     Dark Fantasy / Goth 101     How to effectively write dark fantasy and Goth     Elements used in writing and what defines dark fantasy and Goth. What's the difference in the two.

It's going to be a busy Saturday for me. Anyway, back to the salt mines. Til next time, remember to stay low and keep your powder dry!