Thursday, May 1, 2014

What a Winter

The winter of 2013-2014 is one of the nastiest I personally remember. Not since the ice storm of '94 have I seen the amount of damage we went through this last year, but even then the damage didn't extend over such a wide area and so severely. I was very glad to see the beginning of spring.

Except for the inevitable tax season, April was uneventful. I was able to complete a couple of projects and get some real progress accomplished on several others. My backlog shrunk by a little and some work I hadn't been able to get to for some time finally began to appear at the bottom of the TBD pile. 

Writerly news: I currently have a new interview up on Sean Taylor's blog and my Facebook page is approaching 16.000 likes. I have signed up with Pro Se Press to participate in their new Single Shot Signature Line with a series of pulp tales called The Velvet Wasp Cases. The first of the four tales is scheduled to begin in August and will continue quarterly.

Nomadic Delirium Press still hasn't released their 2014 issue of Martian Wave magazine, but I'm confident that J. Alan Erwine, the editor, will soon get it done. Last I heard he was having trouble filling the issue. I'm sure that had something to do with the recent unpleasantness with Sam's Dot and White Cat leaking over into NDP, which is most unfortunate. J is a great guy and I have nothing but high praise for his work.

Beside the Velvet Wasp story I'm working on, I have a new James Mayberry steampunk tale for Dark Oak Press' next Dreams of Steam anthology. I hope Kimberly Richardson thinks it's worthy to be included. I have also started the final work on Deity, the last of the Thran Chronicles books, that should have been completed years ago but got continually pushed back by short deadlines. As an independent work, it had to take back seat to contractual obligations.

I will be attending Hypericon 9 in June in Nashville, TN, but that should be my last bit of writing-related travel until fall. It'll be nice to catch up with my friend Stephen Zimmer. I'm not sure what kind of panels I'll be on, but once I know, I'll post it here and on my Facebook page.

That's all for now. Til next time, remember to stay low and keep your powder dry!