Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Past, Present, and Future

It has been some time since my last entry but there is a reason for that. It has been a very busy few weeks. 

Besides finalizing the TOC for the upcoming Alban Lake anthology The Idolaters of Cthulhu and all that entails, beside finishing several short stories for myself, beside completing editing assignments for Pro Se Press and Hermit Studio Press, I just got back from attending the New Orleans Genre Writers Conference. Add to all that some behind the scenes plans for more coming events and you can understand why I have been slightly negligent in keeping this blog up to date.

First things first.

The Idolaters of Cthulhu is designed to be a Lovecraftian anthology like you've never seen. We wanted to bring a slant to the Mythos that was under-represented. To that end, some of the finest and most talented writers have turned their hands to the task. It is my honor to co-edit this anthology with Herika R. Raymer, a talented writer in her own right. The anthology is breaking new ground, so it's only right it should look, sound, and be different from other Mythos compilations.

It is therefore my distinct pleasure to make the first of several announcements concerning the anthology. The cover art for The Idolaters of Cthulhu courtesy of Michael Bielaczyc of Aradani Studios in Nashville, TN. The title of the piece, appropriately enough, is "Edge of Madness."


Personally, I don't think there could be a more appropriate illustration for the cover. 

In March, I attended Midsouthcon and, as usual, had a great time. Once again Robert Krog won the Darrell Award for Short Story (sigh) and I took First Runner-up. That makes 11 times in the last 17 years I have received some form of recognition from the Darrell Award Jury, winning once. I think that may be some kind of record. If only Robert wasn't such a good writer, I might feel bad about that.

April saw the 5th Annual That Book Place Authors Fair in Madison, IN. I was one of several dozen writers there and got to touch base with people I hadn't seen in a while.  There are too many to name but you might be able to get an idea of who by checking out John F. Allen's blog about it here.

In other news, after a nice trip to Huntsville, Alabama with the family for a few days off, I attended the New Orleans Genre Writers Conference hosted by Dark Oak Press and Media. For three days, I got to interact with fellow writers both veteran and aspiring. We discussed every aspect of the writing profession, from idea to publication and promotion. It was a most entertaining and enlightening three days with Trisha Baker, "The" Rob Cerio, Jason Fedora, J. L. Mulvihill, Kimberly Richardson, Kalila Smith, M. B. Weston, and of course, Allan Gilbreath. I really enjoyed interfacing with the attendees and look forward to next year.

As for the rest of the writing news, there has been a little movement but I'll have to save that for later. I'll have to leave it there because there are several things on the burner. Til next time, stay low and keep your powder dry.